HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE A RACCOON IN MY ATTIC OR UNDER MY HOUSE OR ANYWHERE IN MY HOME?
Here are the signs that a raccoon has invaded your home:
- Night Sounds on roof or walls (at dusk and dawn).
- Droppings that are similar size and smell to dog dropping.
- Property damages such as teared up vents, scratched walls. etc. They can accomplish a great deal of damage with their very agile hands.
- Sightings. (They are nocturnal animals but can be seen during the day if they are over stressed and desperately looking for food or in some cases if they have rabies, so beware and do not approach)
- Handprint-like tracks on soft ground and climbing surfaces.
HOW DO I GET RID OF A RACCOON?
Once you have identified that a raccoon is the source of your problems it’s time to call the professionals and get them out.
Raccoons are cute looking but they can be dangerous if they feel threatened. They can be a danger for your pets and small children and even yourself if they are not handled properly since they carry an array of illnesses including rabies.
Raccoons often leave feces in specific places called letrines and if left neglected, can transmit diseases that are harmful to humans and other animals including dogs, such as the roundworm Baylisascaris procyanis which causes a diversity of symptoms in severe cases such as:
- Liver enlargement
- Loss of coordination
- Lack of attention to people and surroundings
- Loss of muscle control
Though human infections of this roundworm are rare, if contracted can be severe.
Ask us about our area clean-ups and disinfection.
Read Humane Society article on “Safe Cleanup of Raccoon Latrines”